Copying and/or distribution of copyrighted content is prohibited. Unauthorized use of BOC material is illegal, and the BOC has the right to prosecute such unauthorized use to the fullest extent of the law.
This policy describes the type of personal information BOC may collect when Athletic Trainers (ATs), candidates, approved providers and others (collectively “Users”) interact with or utilize our services and resources or visit our website (BOCATC.org). “Personal information” means information that identifies, relates to, describes, is reasonably capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular individual.
Personal Information Collected at the BOC
BOC collects the personal information that you voluntarily provided to BOC when you fill out applications or forms on or provided through our website, or otherwise contact us via the website or email links contained in our website. The personal information we accumulate and retain regarding ATs and candidates includes: name, address, telephone and/or email contact, date of birth, route to eligibility, social security number (last 4 digits), sex, gender, race/ethnicity, military status, disability status, degree and universities attended, other credentials or licensure, BOC Certification Exam scores, information related to completion of continuing education units (CEUs), information regarding disciplinary or legal action relevant to the BOC certification requirements, decisions of the BOC Professional Practice and Discipline Committee and correspondence and materials related to the above.
We are committed to ensuring that personal information is as accurate and complete as possible. Please let us know immediately if you believe our records are inaccurate or if anything changes, such as your name, address or email.
How Personal Information is Used
We collect, retain and use your personal information:
- To provide our programs and services to you, including for billing and collection where relevant
- To determine eligibility for certification and certification status
- To determine completion of continuing education
- To administer disciplinary proceedings
- To interact with state licensing or regulatory agencies, educational institutions, AT employers and CE providers
- To help us to design, or improve, our certification process so we can provide you with quality programs and services
- To notify you about changes to our website or any programs or services we offer or provide
- To fulfill any other purposes for which you provide your information or with your consent
- To assist us in the research and development of programs and standards of practice to assist you and to help the BOC protect the public and the ATC® credential
Credit card payments submitted to BOC are processed directly by our third-party payment processor. BOC does not collect, store, share or otherwise use any financial information, such as credit/debit card number, expiration date or security code submitted to BOC.
Limitations on Access
Employee access to personal information is limited to those with a reason to know such information for BOC administrative purposes or to assist you in some way, such as with renewals or answering your questions. Employees are educated on the importance of maintaining confidentiality. The BOC creates a mailing list of BOC Certified Athletic Trainers available to providers of continuing education, the NATA and others. You may request that your name be excluded from this list at any time.
Protection of Personal Information
The BOC is committed to the security of your personal information. BOC uses commercially reasonable security standards and procedures to protect all of our operational and data processing systems from being accessed by any unauthorized person.
How Personal Information is Shared
The name, location, certification status, certification number and expiration date of each AT will be available online through the BOC certification verification system to potential employers, state licensing officials and others.
It is our policy not to further disclose your personal information except in the performance of bona fide organizational due diligence or where necessary in connection with the following purposes:
- To contractors, service providers and other third parties we use to deliver our services and support our legitimate activities related thereto
- To verify an individual's certification status to a member of the public or an employer
- To the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE) and the candidate's athletic training program director to assist the CAATE in monitoring an accredited program's compliance with appropriate accreditation standards (information shared is typically limited to pass-fail record of each exam attempt for a candidate)
- To educate or locate credential holders regarding state regulatory matters (information shared is limited to name, contact information and certification status)
- To mitigate a threat to public health or safety or to protect the rights, property or safety of BOC or others
- Disclosure is required by law (e.g., subpoena, request by regulator, etc.)
- With your consent
- For any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information to be shared
- To a buyer or other successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution or other sale or transfer of some or all of BOC’s assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation or similar proceeding, in which personal information held by BOC is among the assets transferred
Cookies we use to improve your experience with our website:
- Account cookies
- Login cookies
- Order processing cookies
- Form cookies
- Site preference cookies
- Third-party analytics cookies
Links and Third-Party Websites
Our website may provide links to other websites operated by third parties that are outside our control. Such third-party websites are not covered by this policy. The ability to access information of third parties from our website, or links to other websites or locations, is for your convenience and does not signify our endorsement of, and BOC is not liable for, such third parties or their content, products, services, software or other materials. The use of external websites including any information or content found on such websites is subject to and governed by the terms and conditions of such websites. We encourage you to review the privacy policies posted on any third-party website you visit.
Our website is not intended for children under 16 years of age. BOC does not knowingly solicit data online from or market online to children under the age of 16. In addition, we do not knowingly collect any personal information from anyone under the age of 18, and you must be 18 years of age or older to use BOC’s programs and services. If you believe we might have personal information from or about a minor, please contact us at BOC@bocatc.org.
EU Data Subjects
Address: 1411 Harney St., Ste 100, Omaha, NE 68102