View a complete list of information collected.
We use collected information to serve you.
There are limitations on who has access to this information.
The BOC is committed to the security of your information.
Information Collected at the BOC
The information we accumulate and retain regarding ATs includes: name, address, telephone and/or email contact, date of birth, route to eligibility, social security number, degree and universities attended, other credentials or licensure, BOC certification exam scores, information related to completion of continuing education units (CEUs), information regarding disciplinary or legal action relevant to the BOC certification requirements, decisions of the BOC Professional Practice and Discipline Committee and correspondence and materials related to the above.
We ensure that private information is as accurate and complete as possible. Please let us know immediately if you believe our records are inaccurate or if anything changes, such as your name, address and email.
How We Use Information
We collect, retain and use this information to assist you in:
- Determining eligibility for certification and certification status
- Determining completion of continuing education
- Administering disciplinary proceedings
- Interacting with state licensing or regulatory agencies, educational institutions, AT employers and CE providers
- Helping us to design, or improve, our certification process so we can provide you with quality programs and services
- Assisting us in the research and development of programs and standards of practice to assist you and to help the BOC protect the public and the ATC® credential
Limitations on Access
Employee access to personally identifiable information is limited to those with a reason to know such information for BOC administrative purposes or to assist you in some way, such as with renewals or answering your questions. Employees are educated on the importance of maintaining confidentiality. The BOC creates a mailing list of BOC Certified Athletic Trainers available to providers of continuing education, the NATA and others. You may request that your name be excluded from this list at any time.
Protection of Information
The BOC is committed to the security of your information. All of our operational and data processing systems are in a secure environment that protects your information from being accessed by any unauthorized person. We safeguard information according to established security standards and procedures.
Restrictions on the Disclosure of Information
It is our policy not to reveal information about specific ATs, except in the performance of bona fide organizational due diligence or where the information meets the following criteria:
- Information is provided to verify an individual's certification status to a member of the public or an employer
- Pass-fail record of each exam attempt for a candidate is provided to the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE) and the candidate's athletic training program director to assist the CAATE in monitoring an accredited program's compliance with appropriate accreditation standards,
- Information is provided to educate or locate credential holders regarding state regulatory matters information shared is limited to name, contact information and certification status
- Information is provided to mitigate a threat to public health or safety
- Disclosure is required by law (e.g., subpoena, request by regulator, etc.)
- Written request is submitted by you for the information to be disclosed Your name, location, certification status and expiration date will be available online through the BOC certification verification system to potential employers, state licensing officials and others.